Is It Dangerous To Have Crickets In My Tempe Home?
June 15, 2021
Crickets are an insect that people have many different feelings and opinions about. In our culture, crickets have been seen as a friendly guide to our consciousness such as in the Disney version of Jiminy Cricket, but they are probably most well-known for the iconic, loud chirping noise that they make.
While there are many different species of crickets found throughout the world, the most common cricket in Tempe, Arizona is the house cricket. They are a yellowish-brown color with three dark bands on their heads. They have six legs with their two back legs being significantly larger allowing them to jump great distances. They also have a long pair of antennae.
While most people know what crickets are, you may not know what if any issues they cause for homeowners. In this guide, you’ll learn about the problems crickets cause as well as what you can do to prevent them.
Are Crickets Just Nuisance Pests?
While most people don’t think of crickets as being destructive or dangerous, they actually can be both. House crickets can chew on furniture and many other household items. They will also get into many different food sources as they will eat nearly anything including wool, silk, pet food, and vegetables. While they might not do as much property damage as some other species like termites, they can still ruin items that you will need to replace.
The other issue with crickets so that they can spread illnesses. Thankfully, the pathogens they spread aren’t fatal, but they can lead to painful and unpleasant sores. Because of this, it’s all the more important to keep crickets out of your home.
Some Simple Cricket Prevention Steps
As with any pest problem, the best way to address crickets is to try to prevent them from coming inside in the first place. It’s much easier to keep crickets out than it is to eliminate them once they infest your home. While prevention steps aren’t a guarantee, they are the first line of defense.
If you don’t have crickets already, there are some things you can do to make your property less appealing to them and to keep them out, such as:
- Seal up areas where crickets and other small insects can get inside. This includes repairing broken screens, installing door sweeps, and sealing up cracks in the walls.
- Crickets are attracted to light, so make sure that outdoor lighting points away from doorways.
- Crickets also need humid environments, so use dehumidifiers and fix leaky plumbing if you have excess moisture around your property.
- Remove dead wood, leaf piles, and other organic debris from your yard as these areas are attractive to crickets looking for shelter.
- Get rid of clutter inside your home, too, especially in places like closets and basements, where crickets that do make it inside will find places to nest.
What’s The Best Way To Control Crickets?
If you’re looking for the best and most effective way to handle house crickets around your Tempe home, look no further than Scorpion Shield. We provide high-quality, integrated pest management services to protect your home from crickets and other pest problems. We can provide ongoing residential pest control services so you never have to worry about crickets at all.
Give us a call today to request your free quote and get started!